The Incubator and Accelerator Network
“It’s great to be part of a diverse community of incubator managers and learn from the range of incubation models that they represent. It helps me to find out what works best for the businesses we’re incubating”
– Gaurav Singh, Business incubation, University of Hertfordshire
“Sometimes you can feel a bit isolated as an incubator manager, and having that community and network to support you, who you can go to for advice, to develop your incubator and yourself, can be a really big help.”
– Louise Kenworthy, Incubation services manager, Innospace, Manchester
The Incubator and Accelerator Network (IAN) connects and represents Britain’s leading business growth programmes. Our members include universities, corporate, commercial and non-profit incubators across the UK.
The network was launched by the Centre for Entrepreneurs in February 2018 following the publication of ‘Putting the uni in unicorn: the role of universities in supporting high-growth graduate startups’.
One of the report’s key recommendations – drawn from the Centre’s interviews with 15 incubator managers – was the need for a new representative body to enable collaboration, best practice sharing and standardised impact measurement among incubators.
Membership is on an institutional basis. This means an unlimited number of staff across all incubators and accelerators owned and run by one legal entity can engage with the network.
Institutional membership is £500+VAT per year.
- monthly hour-long video conference calls with virtual tours of incubators, expert briefings and peer-to-peer support sessions;
- access to the members’ WhatsApp group for announcements, support and discussion;
- 25% discount on tickets for the network’s annual conference (£450 vs £600);
- unique insight from the member impact survey;
- monthly newsletters.
• champion business incubation and acceleration, and advocate on behalf of our members;
• provide networking, resources and thought-leadership for incubator and accelerator managers;
• standardise impact measurement across incubators and accelerators.
The annual conference for the Incubator and Accelerator Network brings together incubator managers from across the country.
For two days, attendees have the unique opportunity to network, discuss and exchange knowledge with other incubator and accelerator managers, as well as business leaders and policy-makers.
Previous conference speakers, panellists and workshop hosts included Brent Hoberman (Founders Factory), Liz Truss MP (Chief Secretary to the Treasury), Alisha Slye (Blackstone LaunchPad), Ella Goldner (Zinc VC), Henry Whorwhood (Beauhurst), Daniel Harrison (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy), Matthias Pastor (The Family) and others.
The Incubator and Accelerator Network runs member-led events throughout the year. The key dates for the year ahead are:
3rd July: video conference call featuring a virtual tour and Q&A with the University of West England. Interview with Alex Till – chair of the National Enterprise Network and chief executive of MENTA, the Suffolk and Norfolk enterprise agency;
4-6th September: IAN delegation to IEEC;
6th November: video conference call featuring a virtual tour and Q&A with the Oxford Foundry;
11th – 12th March 2020: annual Incubator and Accelerator Network conference.