Your weekly summary of entrepreneurship news, comment, and features. Sent by the Centre for Entrepreneurs (part of the New Entrepreneurs Foundation). Sign up here. Read the original newsletter here.
- CFE hosts award-winning refugee entrepreneurship incubator
Last week, CFE hosted Usman Iftikhar, co-founder of Catalysr – the Sydney-based refugee entrepreneurship programme featured in our latest report. Usman was in town to receive the Commonwealth Young Person of the Year award from HRH Prince Harry for his work with refugee entrepreneurs.
- ‘Best of British’ enterprise celebrated on Her Majesty the Queen’s birthday
230 businesses were honoured with a Queen’s Award for Enterprise this year. One notable winner is The Source – a Hastings-based BMX wholesaler which converted derelict seafront swimming baths into the world’s largest underground skatepark. Founders Marc & Rich Moore featured in our 2015 report on how entrepreneurs are reviving seaside towns.
- Patience and ambition can hinder not help crowdfunding efforts (London Loves Business covers Anglia Ruskin University research)
- Business tax relief in need of reform (Economia covers a report from the Office for Tax Simplification)
- Fashion entrepreneur Natalie Massenet raises £52m for new investment firm (Evening Standard)
- Barclays sets up venture capital unit (CityAM)
- London’s technology powerhouse needs to look in the mirror and promise to do better (Russ Shaw, founder, Tech London Advocates)
- Five key takeaways from our new report on pensions for the self-employed (Benedict Dellott, associate director, Royal Society of Arts)
- Britain needs to act fast to reap the benefits of AI (Patrick Spencer, head of work and welfare, Centre for Social Justice)
- Whitehall needs to learn from the likes of Amazon about how to provide public services (John Ashmore, deputy editor, CapX)
- The thing I love most about Uber (Bill Gurley, general partner, Benchmark Capital)
- Evening Standard: When you’ve dodged mortars in Basra, building tech startups holds no terrors (profile of Daniel Korski)
- Tech.eu: VC firm Eight Roads grilled 300+ European tech founders on their ambitions (and more) – here are the results
- CBInsights: The top 100 venture capitalists (3rd annual ranking with New York Times)