Starting afresh: How entrepreneurship empowers refugees
Entrepreneurship empowers refugees. It gives them the opportunity to take control over their lives and start afresh.
CFE’s recent report detailed the appetite and propensity for entrepreneurship among refugees. The Centre is now working with government, business and philanthropists to help roll out refugee entrepreneurship programmes across the UK.
On World Refugee Day this week, CFE hosted a Parliamentary event to celebrate the entrepreneurial contributions of refugees throughout the centuries.
CFE used the event to launch the below video that brings the topic to life. Watch Faith and Razan share their experience of resettling in the UK and their path towards entrepreneurship.
- Exceptional talent visas for tech sector up tenfold in just two years(London Loves Business)
- London tech organisations unite with JP Morgan Chase to double founder diversity by 2020 (CityAM cover new programme between Capital Enterprise, Tech Nation and Diversity VC)
- WeWork is hiring, mentoring and training 1,500 refugees in US and UK(Fast Company)
- SMEs want government to simplify business rates (Economia covers Close Brothers research)
- Uber’s London licence fight kicks off on Monday (Business Insider)
- The business case for helping refugees (Matthew Powell, chief executive, Breaking Barriers)
- Are scooter startups really worth billions? (Natasha Lomas, senior reporter, TechCrunch)
- Grandstanding CBI and IoD are playing the wrong game (Margareta Pagano, journalist, Evening Standard)
- Why the UK is a digital dynamo (Matthew Hancock, culture secretary and Brent Hoberman, co-founder, Founders Factory)
- How entrepreneurs have the most stressful – yet most satisfying – jobs(Ute Stephan, prof of entrepreneurship, Aston University)
- The crypto world must stop inviting ridicule (Arjun Kharpal, technology correspondent, CNBC)
- Student debt is killing [US] entrepreneurship (David Jolley, Americas growth market leader, EY)
- FT: SoftBank: Inside the ‘Wild West’ $100bn fund shaking up the tech world
- The Conversation: Shut down business schools? Two professors debate
- QZ: Eton College is building a startup to teach kids to be assertive and persuasive
- Enterprise Research Centre: UK Local Growth Dashboard 2018